This blog is part of a two-blog series of advertorial reviews for local supermarket ALDI. ALDI is a supporter of PittsburghMom and they have requested a review. All opinions expressed are mine. Any groceries purchased were my own and not provided by ALDI.
Last month I wrote about my new discovery of the ALDI chain of grocery stores. Upon visiting for the first time I was very impressed by the prices and selection of even fresh fruits and vegetables. Since that time I've visited ALDI several more times and have looked even closer at the selection of products.
You see, now that school is back in session and I'm back to work that always means one thing...I'm on a diet. And my kids are on a "no high fructose corn syrup, no dyes, balanced meals" plan that I'm much stricter about now that summer and our free-wheeling, icee-drinking schedule-free days are over.
So I recently visited ALDI with the idea that I'd see if I can stick with healthy options and still save money.
The answer is yes.
I found a lot of great, healthy options for my family at great prices. Some of my purchases this month have included:
- Greek yogurt with no dyes
- Whole grain cereals
- Natural peanut butter
- Raw nuts (several varieties)
- Natural juice boxes with no HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) or dyes
- Mario fruit snacks (a big hit with the boys) with no artificial colors or flavors
- Great selection of cheese including my kids favorite Baby Bell circles
- Great selection of fruits (I always buy at least two containers of strawberries because I know they'll eat one as soon I come home from the market)
- Great selection of fresh vegetables
- Whole grain and even white bread with no HFCS
- Frozen fruit at great prices that make delicious smoothies
- Mini muffins with no dyes or HFCS
- Veggie chips for snacking
- Fit & Active organic soy milk and chocolate milk
- Fresh and Frozen chicken, lean meats and fish for nightly dinners
- Chicken fries with no artificial ingredients
- Frozen veggies and fruits for winter when it's harder to find fresh
- Whole grain pasta
- Natural fruit popsicles
- And for me - The Fit & Active line snacks and meals for my dieting/calorie counting needs
And there are dozens of other products to choose from as well that fit into our healthy, whole, low fat lifestyle. My favorite combination of flavors currently is our morning-ritual fruit smoothie. We all love them for breakfast
I got several of these items at a recent trip to ALDI (see photo at right) and my bill came to just $20. Amazing!
1 cup frozen strawberries or mixed berry blend
1 cup vanilla Greek or lowfat yogurt
1/2 cup lowfat milk or soymilk
1/2 glass of ice
Blend all ingredients until smooth. Add more yogurt to thicken if desired. Enjoy! (that's my kind of easy cooking!).