My son is turning 6.
Seems like birthdays are all over the Pittsburgh Mom joint these past few weeks!
Years ago I made a goal to write a letter to each of my children on every birthday. Apparently I'm as good at that as I am at writing thank you notes.
Honestly, while there is so much I could share with each of my kids through a letter, the biggest take-away I want them to be assured of and clutch ever so tightly as they grow older and navigate life, is that they are loved.
First, by God. And, by us.
On helping them see, hear, and feel this, I want to do them a solid.
So, yesterday, I did some super-sleuthing.
I asked both of them (and careful, as this might make you a bit dizzy) what they thought I thought of them.
I was fairly certain they would respond with one of the following,
"You think I need to be more responsible in writing down my assignments."
"You think my room is always a mess."
Thankfully, graciously, that's not what I heard. But rather,
“You think I am the coolest daughter ever.”
“You think I am a really special."
"Why? Why do you think I think those things about you guys."
"Because you totally love us."
As we approach Zane's birthday on Monday and Harper's later this month, I won't be writing them letters. I will, however, share a few things that I do indeed think make them the "coolest daughter" and the most "special" son. Zane first:
- Favorite clothes? Pajama's. Our "Lil Hef" would spend each and every day in pajamas if he could.
- Favorite toy? Playmobil. Or lego's. He's a creator and a builder. Also loves maze books and drawing.
- Favorite animal? Lion. And, if you're lucky, in that you are me or my husband, (which, sorry, you are not) you can secure an exclusive membership into the "Snuggle Lion Club". I can't tell you the details, 'cause, well, you're not in it.
- Second favorite animal? Squirrel.
- Career choice? Chemist. Tonight however, he toyed around with the idea of being a Pastor-Chemist. No, I haven't a clue either.
- Favorite food? Chocolate. Miso soup. And pizza. We now call my lasagna, Pizza Lasagna - same with some other recipes. Add the word pizza in front of almost anything and he'll eat it.
- Favorite movie? Currently? The Lion King. How To Train Your Dragon is a close second. He also digs Star Wars, Madagascar, and watched Robots over and over again last year.
- Favorite music? "Beautiful music", meaning Classical.
- Favorite book? The Chronicles of Narnia series. He especially loves audio books.
- Favorite sport? "I am not a sport kid."
- Favorite personal item? His green blanket. All other blankets heaped upon his bed take 2nd place - but are used nonetheless - even in summer.
- Favorite thing to do with Mom and Dad: Snuggle - seriously, he's like Buddy the Elf.
- Favorite thing about God: "He loves me and created lions."
Happy Birthday to my baby. My delight. My love. You feel deeply, are wonderfully creative, and view the world in your own unique way. I am thankful that God blessed me with you. You have enriched our family and we love (and like) you a whole bunch.
(There. That makes this look more like an official letter.)
Joline Pinto Atkins is a former actress who now uses the web as her world-wide stage and can also be founding writing at The Cuppa Jo, and Fit With Jo. Joline is wife to one (phew - that's good to know) and mother of two amazing children, aged 10 and 6, who are both named after authors. Addicted to fitness, she sweats out any daily angst by running (not with sharp objects) and weightlifting, and longs for good books, vats of coffee, and an endless supply of buffalo wings - which she will not share with you. So, please, do not ask.